I was never quite happy with the layout of the ‘Dalesmouth’ station trackplan, but for the sake of getting on with things, I went with what I’d got.
Recently, however, it has been easier to do some planing downstairs than it has been to work in the loft. A dam sight warmer too! So this weekend I turned my attention to re-thinking ‘Dalesmouth’.
Below is the original trackplan followed by the revamped version:
Essentially I wanted to achieve two things. Firstly, I felt the original trackplan for the ‘Dalesmouth’ station was too forced and didn’t flow very well, particularly with the use of two 3-way turnouts. Secondly, I wanted to bring the station building forward to have less of a sheer drop from the quarry behind.
The revamp gets rid of the branchline tunnel at the end of the station, allowing the whole platform area to move forward. The double mainline is then routed between the two platforms, rather than splitting either side. I’m much happier with the results, but I’m also sure things will change again when I actual come to lay the track.