A late Birthday present arrived in the post over the weekend. Laser cut parts for ‘Dalesmouth Viaduct’.
Using money I got for my Birthday I was able to move my scale drawing off the drawing board and closer to reality, so to speak. Early on in the project I got in touch with the laser cutter. They were very helpful in providing all the information I needed to produce the drawings and in guiding me through the material choices.
The scale drawings for ‘Dalesmouth Viaduct’ were originally drawn up in Macromedia FreeHand 8. From this first drawing I selected certain repetitive parts and created a second file with all these parts repeated as many times as required, and a few more for good measure. It’s all too easy to bugger up a part, and I didn’t want to be left having to get the whole job done again for the sake of one part.
The ‘Dalesmouth Viaduct’ parts, step and repeated for laser cutting
The file was then converted to an Adobe Illustrator .ai file (and AutoCad .dwg file as an alternative) and emailed for laser cutting.
These parts don’t make up the whole bridge but when assembled, with other preformed and hand cut plastikard parts, they will form the finished ‘Dalesmouth Viaduct’. For example, the abutments and piers will be hand cut.
At the same time as laser cutting the viaduct, I had room on the drawing to drop in some kit parts for 3-aspect colour light signals. This is another project which I intend to experiment with. Assembling my own 3-aspect signals from laser cut parts and LEDs, as an alternative to the ‘off-the-shelf’ offerings.