The Crossdale tunnel bridge is looking good as a structure, but has none of the distinctive surface texture of the prototype. To remedy this I have laser engraved some riveted panels onto 400gsm white card. The results in the pic above really stand out in the strong afternoon sunlight.
I’ve got to a point where I need to consider the next missing bridge. This is the Crossdale Tunnel bridge.
Of course, the first thing to do is to make room for it. Out came the rotary tool and the track was cut and removed. Next my tenon saw made light work of cutting through the track bed. All that done, the way is clear for the new bridge.
The bridge I have in mind for this location will be based on the one at Ambergate in Derbyshire, but on a smaller scale. Another laser cutting project 🙂
No Trolls under this bridge, unless you count grumpy old me. Nothing to be grumpy about though. In fact, I quite enjoyed bringing ‘Road Bridge 1’ to life with a bit of colour. Much more colour and weathering to add yet, of course.
I’m feeling my way into the painting of this stone work, because it will probably set the method and tones for all the other stone work to follow. I just don’t want any billy goats messing thing up.
Where the ‘Crossdale Tunnel’ breaks out of the cliff face, I have now glued the laser engraved tunnel portal, which I laminated together back in September. It just needs a bit of touching up and some texture adding now.
I have started gluing the laser etched stone detail to the first viaduct abutment. Other low relief details are then added, etched onto a thicker card. I will add the texture to the stonework at the next stage.