My new layout

My new layout 'Four Rivers'

A change of scene

Progress on ‘Dales Peak’ has been painfully slow recently and I’ve come to the conclusion that I’m bored. It would have been my 8th iteration of the same theme and my enthusiasm for the project has waned. So, as I’m at a point in the new build where I can change horses, that’s what I’ve decided to do. I think that a completely new subject will re-inspire me and give the project a new lease of life.

With the decision made I have decided to go for an HO gauge North American layout. The project is called ‘Four Rivers’ and will be based loosley on the eastern United States CSX Class I freight railroad.

To get things started I have already sold my UK engines and rolling stock, etc. With the proceeds I have bought some new HO gauge track, a couple of engines and a few wagons.

If you fancy a change too, why not follow me to the USA in my new blog…

‘Dales Peak’ moves to ‘The Railway Shed’

The final Dales Peak

Gone but not forgotten

There have only been a few posts on ‘Dales Peak’ recently because I have decided to move this final version of ‘Dales Peak’ to a blog of its own. There have already been two previous versions of ‘Dales Peak’ on this blog, the loft layout and the first shed layout. They will remain here for all to look back on.

The final version of ‘Dales Peak’ started at the beginning of the now notorious 2020 and I want to keep it separate from the previous versions. To that end, I have started a new blog:

All the posts from the beginning of 2020, and the start of construction, have been copied over to the new blog and all new posts will continue there.

So, if you have enjoyed following my progress on ‘Dales Peak’ I hope you will join me on ‘The Railway Shed’. There is also a YouTube page for ‘The Railway Shed’ on which you will be able to watch videos of my progress and workbench projects.

Thank you very much for all the support and I look forward to seeing you all in The Railway Shed.

Happy modelling, Ian Robins

A bracing afternoon

Bracing on the lift up section

Reinforcing the lift up section

The only issue I have had with the lift up section so far, has been its ability to flex when lifting from one side. It has meant grabbing both sides of the section and pulling up simultaneously. A bit awkward and not ideal.

The answer has been to fit a couple of diagonal braces on the underside. Eureka it works! No more flex, and I can lift it up on one side with just one hand.

Take away pieces

Parts for the station cut

Over the weekend I laser cut some of the parts for ‘Crossdale’ station. These are all 3mm birch plywood and will form all the outer and inner walls. To keep all the parts together, I find the containers that you get take away food in really useful. As long as you clean them well that is.

Plastered again

Adding surface to the platform

I decided to switch to plaster for this element of the platform. The air drying clay was taking a long time to dry thanks to the shite weather we’re having. This is just a rough plaster coat which I will sand down and touch up where necessary.

I want to get this section done so that I have a flat base to put my station building on.

More on edge

Adding more detail to the platforms

Just added another run of laser cut coping slabs along the edge of the ‘Crossdale’ platform. This is a continuation on the other side of the lift up section. This didn’t take too long to do, but there are a lot more to do on the opposite platform.

Create a website or blog at WordPress.com

Up ↑